Sunday, September 15, 2013

Using Wordle for Science Vocabulary

Just a quick post about something fun--I created a Wordle tonight that I am going to have students use in a vocabulary assignment throughout the week. 


We have just finished up land and water biomes, and we are moving into Food Webs and Food Chains this week.  They all fall under the Ecology umbrella, so you can see that I have included vocabulary from all of our Ecology units.

Wordle is really cool--you input either lists of words or a selection of text from wherever you would like, and it creates a visual of the words.  Words that are repeated in your text selection appear larger once the Wordle is created. I just typed in my vocabulary words, and I typed the words I wanted to appear larger two or three times. Once it creates your Wordle, you can change the colors, font, placement of words, and all sorts of customization things. 

I am going to project this up on my screen, then have my students randomly select a color (or two?) and  create a short story using those colored vocabulary words.  We are working on integrating more literacy-type assignments into our science classes, and I love having students write.  I think I will have them create a story with the vocab, illustrate it, and then maybe share in small groups.  That's just what I have come up with so far.  I'm sure there are lots of things you can do with a wordle, but I have just started playing with it. 

Have any of you used it in your classrooms?  What do you do with them?  If all else fails, it will make a nice, colorful addition to my word wall board!

The URL to my wordle is here if you would like to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment